About Dr Lim Boon Leng (Dr BL Lim)
Dr Lim Boon Leng (Dr BL Lim) is a Psychiatrist in private practice who treats children, youth, adults and the elderly. He has special interests in depression and other mood and anxiety disorders as well as Adult ADHD and youth psychiatry. His practice is located in Gleneagles Medical Center / Gleneagles Hospital and has experience helping international and expatriate patients. He is known to be an approachable, reassuring and good-natured psychiatrist. He recommends a consultative and collaborative approach between the doctor and the patient as he believes this to be the best way for you to achieve a good recovery and wellness in your mental health.
He was trained in the Institute of Mental Health, Singapore where he was the Director of the Ministry of Health’s GP Partnership Programme for Mental Health. In 2010, he joined Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH) and was a consultant psychiatrist with the Department of Psychological Medicine before commencing private practice. In KTPH, on top of adult mood and anxiety clinics, he also ran the Uniformed Services Performance clinic (a collaboration with SAF Psychological Care Centre) and is experienced with seeing youths who have difficulties coping with full-time national service.
In 2011, he received the Healthcare Manpower Development Plan award and completed his HMDP Honorary Fellowship in youth psychiatry with Orygen Youth Health, a world renowned centre for early intervention of psychiatric disorders in Melbourne Australia.
He co-authored the National Clinical Practice Guideline for Bipolar Disorder to help clinicians with best practices and was a member of the Professional Advisory Committee Depression and Anxiety subgroup at MOH.
Dr Lim speaks fluent English and Chinese (Mandarin, Hokkien and Cantonese).
Dr Lim is accredited in most of the major private hospitals including Gleneagles Hospital, , Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Mount Alvernia Hospital, Mount Elizabeth Hospital (Novena) and Parkway East Hospital.
He was previously a Visiting Consultant to the National University Hospital, Alexandra Hospital and to Ju Eng Nursing Home. He was an Adjunct Assistant Professor with the National University of Singapore Faculty Scheme. He was a core faculty member of the National Psychiatry Residency Program which trains future psychiatrists.
Dr Lim was the honorary treasurer of the Singapore Psychiatric Association from 2009 to 2011. He was also a member of the editorial board of Singapore Medical Association News and volunteers in AMK FSC as its vice Chairman. He was appointed by the Ministry of Family and Social Development to represent the community in the Responsible Gambling Forum (a platform which facilitates the community and the gambling industry to exchange information and views to enable shared understanding of societal concerns on responsible gambling and problem gambling).
Professional Training and Certifications
Dr Lim is certified in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), a psychotherapeutic modality for the treatment of psychological trauma, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Hypnosis / Hypnotherapy.
Dr Lim obtained his basic medical degree from the National University of Singapore and Master of Medicine (Psychiatry) from the Division of Graduate Medical Studies, NUS. He is an accredited psychiatrist with the Specialist Accreditation Board, MOH.
Whilst in public service, Dr Lim won several awards for service excellence including the IMH Sayang Award, Excellence in Service Award (EXSA) Gold Award and the National Healthcare Group Excellence in Action (Individual) Award.
Dr BL Lim in the Media
- Angloinfo (Singapore) – Relocating and moving can be stressful. Dr Lim is experienced in treating expatriates who have adjustment difficulties or stress in Singapore. Read his insights on Depression in this article.
- Asiaone.com – Doc: “He had control of himself”,
- ChannelNewsAsia.com – Health News, Signs of Depression
- SMA News – Psychiatric Step-Down Care: Racing with Turtles?
- Jakarta Globe – Singapore: More Psychiatrists to Do Pro Bono Work
- The Straits Times – Salesman pays $130k for Slingshot Damage (12 May 2013)
- Aljazeera News – Dr Lim comments on DSM V, the new guidelines on diagnosing mental illnesses (19 May 2013)
- Young Parents – I’m Not Naughty: Dr Lim comments on ADHD (June 2013)
- My Paper – Scalping of Limited Items Getting Worse (2 July 2013)
- MediaCorp (Singapore) Channel 5 – On The Red Dot – Preschool Enrichment Classes (August 2013) – Click here to see video
- Her World – Indulging in Children (Sept 2013)
- Simply Her Singapore – Telling White Lies to Children (Sept 2013)
- Men’s Health Singapore – Dr Lim Comments on Hypnosis (Nov 2013)
- MediaCorp (Singapore) Channel 5 – On The Red Dot – Sharenting (November 2013) – Click here to see video
- Simply Her Singapore – Online Games for Kids (November 2013)
- Cosmopolitan Singapore – Dealing With Control Freaks (January 2014)
- Yahoo News (Guest Writer) – 4 Dangerous Myths about Postpartum Depression (February 2014)
- Cosmopolitan Singapore – How to Cheer Yourself Up (April 2014)
- The New Paper – Dr Lim comments on Paedophilia (August 2014)
- The Singapore Womens Weekly – Sibling Rivalry (September 2014)
- The New Paper – Dr Lim comments on Bulimia (September 2014)
- The New Paper – Dr Lim comments on Hoarding (February 2015)
- ST Classified – Dr Lim talks about Managing Food Cravings (Sept 2016)
Chinese Media / 中文媒体
- 联合晚报(Wanbao) – 华文阅读障碍(Chinese Dyslexia)
- 早安你好 (Channel 8 Chinese Interview)– The ability to mentalise and correlations with friendship（2012）
– The psychology of animal cruelty (16 April 2013)
– Youth violence (26 June 2013)
– 儿童虐待 Child abuse (11 July 2013) – click here to see video
– 孩子易愤怒，家长怎么做？ Anger Management in Children (28 October 2013) – click here to see video
- 联合早报(Zhaobao) – 办公室欺凌(Workplace Bullying)
- 赞 (Zhan Magazine) – 社交媒体 当心上瘾 (Social Media Addiction)
- 联合早报(Zhaobao) – 新的一年打造健康心理 (New Year Resolutions, January 2018)